Musical Arts Series kicks off with duo from Cleveland Institute of Music
PORT CLINTON — The Musical Arts Series in Port Clinton is set to kick off a new concert season with a duo from the Cleveland Institute of Music.
At 3:30 p.m. Sunday, the series will host violinist Jimmy Thompson and pianist Jonathan Mak for a performance at Firelands Presbyterian Church, 2626 E. Harbor Rd., Port Clinton.
According to the musical arts series, Thompson returns to the series in this first part, having previously performed as a member of a popular chamber band.
A graduate student at the Cleveland Institute of Music, Thompson has performed solo with the Cleveland Orchestra, Blue Water Chamber Orchestra, Cleveland Philharmonic and many others.
Thompson will be joined by Jonathan Mak, who is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in piano at the Cleveland Institute of Music and has performed internationally with orchestras around the world, including Italy, Bulgaria, Vienna, Poland and China.
The duo’s concert on Sunday will include selections from Schubert, Prokofiev and Beethoven, according to the Musical Arts series. The public is also invited to join the performers at a reception after the concert.
Tickets are $15, available at the door. There will also be a “pick five” ticket package available for $65. A season pass for tickets to all nine concerts in this series costs $100. Concerts are always free for students.
Other concerts in the series include:
• Saturday, October 13, 7:30 p.m., Echoing Air Sextet, English Baroque Music.
• Saturday, November 10, 7:30 p.m., Michael Shirtz Quartet, An Evening with Dave Brubeck.
• Thursday, December 13, 7 p.m., Burning River Brass, Our Christmas Gift to the Community, at St. John’s Lutheran Church, 207 Adams St. Port Clinton.
• Sunday, January 6, 3:30 p.m. Detroit Symphony Orchestra String Trio.
• Sunday March 24, 3.30 p.m., Harmonia, folk and gypsy music from Eastern Europe.
• Sunday, April 14, 3:30 p.m., Greater Cleveland Flute Choir, “Erie Waters.”
• Sunday May 12, 3:30 p.m., Katie Mahan, Piano, Steinway Artist, from New York and Hamburg.
• Sunday, June 2, 3:30 p.m. Boyd Meets Girl, Rupert Boyd on guitar and Laura Metcalf on cello.
For more information on the Musical Arts series, visit musicalartsportclinton.com or call 419-734-6211.